Re: [WIP] showing index maintenance on EXPLAIN

От Jaime Casanova
Тема Re: [WIP] showing index maintenance on EXPLAIN
Дата
Re: [WIP] showing index maintenance on EXPLAIN
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 10:52 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 5:30 AM, Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This patch implements $subject only when ANALYZE and VERBOSE are on.
>> I made it that way because for years nobody seemed interested in this
>> info (at least no one did it) so i decided that maybe is to much
>> information for most people (actually btree indexes are normally very
>> fast).
>

> Why to capture only for Index Insert/Update and not for Read; is it
> because Read will be always fast ot implementation complexity?

EXPLAIN ANALYZE already shows that on any SELECT that uses an index in
some way. Or are you thinking on something else?

> Why not similar timings for heap?

well "actual time" shows us total time of the operation so just
deducting the time spent on triggers, indexes and planning seems like
a way to get "heap modification time".

yes, maybe we still need some additional data. for example, i could
want to know how much time we spent extending a relation.

> Why can't we print when only Analyze is used with Explain, the
> execution time is printed with Analyze option?

i'm not sure the info is useful for everyone, i'm not opposed to show
it all the time though

> Could you please tell in what all kind of scenario's, do you expect it
> to be useful?
> One I could think is that if there are multiple indexes on a table and user
> wants to find out if any particular index is consuming more time.

exactly my use case. consider this plan (we spent 78% of the time
updating the index uniq_idx_on_text):
  QUERY PLAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Insert on public.t1 (actual
time=0.540..0.540rows=0 loops=1)  ->  Result (actual time=0.046..0.049 rows=1 loops=1)        Output: <some long data
here>Indexuniq_idx_on_text on t1: time=0.421 rows=1Index t1_pkey on t1: time=0.027 rows=1Total runtime: 0.643 ms
(6 rows)

so i want to answer questions like, how much an index is hurting write
performance? once i know that i can look for alternative solutions.
In that vein, it was interesting to see how fastupdate affect
performance in a GIN index using gin_trgm_ops (5 times slower with
fastupdate=off)

(fastupdate=on) Index idx_ggin on t1: time=0.418 rows=1
(fastupdate=off) Index idx_ggin on t1: time=2.205 rows=1

this is not different to showing trigger time info, which we already do

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte 24x7 y capacitación