Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL

От Jaime Casanova
Тема Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila@huawei.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:09 PM Fujii Masao wrote:
>
>> Is it helpful to output the notice message like 'Run pg_reload_conf() or
>> restart the server if you want new settings to take effect' always after
>> SET PERSISTENT command?
>
> Not sure because if someone uses SET PERSISTENT command, he should know the
> effect or behavior of same.
> I think it's good to put this in UM along with "PERSISTENT" option
> explanation.

can we at least send the source file in the error message when a
parameter has a wrong value?

suppose you do: SET PERSISTENT shared_preload_libraries TO
'some_nonexisting_lib';
when you restart postgres and that lib doesn't exist you can get
confused when looking at postgresql.conf and find an empty string
there

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte 24x7 y capacitación