Re: Assertions in PL/PgSQL

От Jaime Casanova
Тема Re: Assertions in PL/PgSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 5:17 AM, Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to> wrote:
> On 9/20/13 12:09 PM, Amit Khandekar wrote:
>>
>> On 16 September 2013 03:43, Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it would be extremely surprising if a command like that got
>>> optimized away based on a GUC, so I don't think that would be a good
>>> idea.
>>

>> In pl_gram.y, in the rule stmt_raise, determine that this RAISE is for
>> ASSERT, and then return NULL if plpgsql_curr_compile->enable_assertions is
>> false. Isn't this possible ?
>

> Of course it's possible.  But I, as a PostgreSQL user writing PL/PgSQL code,
> would be extremely surprised if this new cool option to RAISE didn't work
> for some reason.  If we use ASSERT the situation is different; most people
> will realize it's a new command and works differently from RAISE.

What about just adding a clause WHEN to the RAISE statement and use
the level machinery (client_min_messages) to make it appear or not
of course, this has the disadvantage that an EXCEPTION level will
always happen... or you can make it a new loglevel that mean EXCEPTION
if asserts_enabled

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte 24x7 y capacitación