Re: Disabling trust/ident authentication configure option

От Volker Aßmann
Тема Re: Disabling trust/ident authentication configure option
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
Robert Haas wrote:

> I frankly find that a bit difficult to swallow.  You think that
> everyone knows that bad passwords are a problem, but some people might
> not realize that an authentication method called "trust" might not be
> secure?

Ultimately, what we offer to users is choice of a few options.  Should
we only offer options that we consider to be completely secure, and no
others?  If we were to follow that principle, we would completely
disable non-SSL builds, and all auth methods other than, I dunno, GSSAPI
and such.  But we don't do that, because we trust that users will use
whatever is most appropriate for them.  I see this patch is, in a way, a
mechanism to let system administrators choose at compile time what
options are available to DBAs at setup time.  This seems a reasonable
thing to me.

Yes in fact, it would be a way for organizations distributing their own PostgreSQL packages to enforce authentication restrictions within the package instead of having to educate all users about the options.

I don't necessarily agree with the patch as proposed.  I would rather
have a comma-separated list of methods, as in:

    --disable-auth=ident,peer

Something more general like that would be even better, and when reading the comments below perhaps also the option to differentiate between local and remote authentication. I will look into this and see if we could update the patch to a more generic option in case people here agree that it is worthwhile.

I would be adding additional options:

   --disable-remote-auth=ident,trust
   --disable-local-auth=trust

And would check that there is a warning about the password reset restrictions in case both peer and trust (and on Windows?) are disabled.

which lets you choose what to disable without hardcoded choices.  Due to
the nature of autoconf, this might be too fiddly to implement, though,
and if so I think the method proposed by this patch seems a reasonable
compromise.  I've seen configure in other programs offer options such as
--disable-foo=list that lists acceptable values (or --disable-foo=help)

--
Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/