Re: PostgreSQL does not compile on macOS SDK 15.0

От Aleksander Alekseev
Тема Re: PostgreSQL does not compile on macOS SDK 15.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

> I've reproduced this issue by:
>
> 1. Download the XCode 16 beta 2 ZIP file:
> https://developer.apple.com/services-account/download?path=/Developer_Tools/Xcode_16_beta/Xcode_16_beta.xip
> 2. Extract this to `/tmp`.
> 3. Then I ran:
>
> export PATH=/tmp/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin:$PATH
> export SDKROOT=/tmp/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX15.0.sdk
> export XCODE_DIR=/tmp/Xcode-beta.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain
> export CC="$XCODE_DIR/usr/bin/clang" export CXX="$XCODE_DIR/usr/bin/clang++"
>
> ./configure CC="$CC" CXX="$CXX"
> make

Does it work if you do the same with XCode 15?

Perhaps I'm missing something but to me it doesn't look like the
right/supported way of compiling PostgreSQL on this platform [1]. I
tried to figure out what version of Xcode I'm using right now, but it
seems to be none:

$ /usr/bin/xcodebuild -version
xcode-select: error: tool 'xcodebuild' requires Xcode, but active
developer directory '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools' is a command
line tools instance

Clang I'm using doesn't seem to be part of XCode distribution either:

$ clang --version
Homebrew clang version 18.1.6
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin23.5.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/local/opt/llvm/bin

It's been a while since I installed all the dependencies on my laptop,
but I'm pretty confident I followed the documentation back then.

IMO the right way to test PostgreSQL against the recent beta version
of MacOS SDK would be replacing (via a symlink perhaps) the SDK
provided by the "Command Line Tools for Xcode" package
(/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/). Or alternatively finding
the official way of installing the beta version of this package.

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/installation-platform-notes.html#INSTALLATION-NOTES-MACOS

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev