Re: PostgreSQL and local HDD

От Olivier Gautherot
Тема Re: PostgreSQL and local HDD
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Jason

On Tue, Aug 15, 2023 at 9:23 AM Jason Long <hack3rcon@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hello,
Why is the PostgreSQL database slow when it is on the server's hard drive? My servers are HPE ProLiant DL380p G8 and HPE ProLiant DL380 G9.

Can you be more specific in your question? Reasons for the server would be "slow" can be many and can be addressed in many ways. So additional information would be welcome:
- Size of the database
- Number of rows (and their number of columns, size...) in the tables
- Indices and other optimization tricks
- The query itself
- ... and other server configuration parameters

Does the database have to be on a storage like EMC or QNAP?

Faster storage can only help but I would start by discarding functional overhead.

Does PostgreSQL have an option to increase speed?

It is usually achieved by reducing the number of rows you pull from the disk.
Try the command EXPLAIN ( https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-explain.html )  to see where the server is wasting time.

Thank you.

--
Olivier Gautherot