Re: [HACKERS] UPDATE of partition key

От Amit Khandekar
Тема Re: [HACKERS] UPDATE of partition key
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 21 June 2017 at 20:14, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 5:28 AM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:>> The comment "UPDATE/DELETE
> cases are handled above" is referring to
>>> the code that initializes the WCOs generated by the planner.  You've
>>> modified the comment in your patch, but the associated code: your
>>> updated comment says that only "DELETEs and local UPDATES are handled
>>> above", but in reality, *all* updates are still handled above.  And
>>> then they are handled again here.  Similarly for returning lists.
>>> It's certainly not OK for the comment to be inaccurate, but I think
>>> it's also bad to redo the work which the planner has already done,
>>> even if it makes the patch smaller.
>>
>> I guess this has to do with the UPDATE turning into DELETE+INSERT.  So, it
>> seems like WCOs are being initialized for the leaf partitions
>> (ResultRelInfos in the mt_partitions array) that are in turn are
>> initialized for the aforementioned INSERT.  That's why the term "...local
>> UPDATEs" in the new comment text.
>>
>> If that's true, I wonder if it makes sense to apply what would be
>> WCO_RLS_UPDATE_CHECK to a leaf partition that the tuple will be moved into
>> by calling ExecInsert()?
>
> I think we probably should apply the insert policy, just as we're
> executing the insert trigger.

Yes, the RLS quals should execute during tuple routing according to
whether it is a update or whether it has been converted to insert. I
think the tests don't quite test the insert part. Will check.

>>> Also, I feel like it's probably not correct to use the first result
>>> relation as the nominal relation for building WCOs and returning lists
>>> anyway.  I mean, if the first result relation has a different column
>>> order than the parent relation, isn't this just broken?  If it works
>>> for some reason, the comments don't explain what that reason is.
>>
>> Yep, it's more appropriate to use
>> ModifyTableState->rootResultRelationInfo->ri_RelationDesc somehow.  That
>> is, if answer to the question I raised above is positive.

From what I had checked earlier when coding that part,
rootResultRelInfo is NULL in case of inserts, unless something has
changed in later commits. That's the reason I decided to use the first
resultRelInfo.

Thanks,
-Amit Khandekar
EnterpriseDB Corporation