Re: [HACKERS] Parallel Append implementation

От Amit Khandekar
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Parallel Append implementation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 7 September 2017 at 13:40, Rafia Sabih <rafia.sabih@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Rafia,
>>
>> On 17 August 2017 at 14:12, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> But for all of the cases here, partial
>>> subplans seem possible, and so even on HEAD it executed Partial
>>> Append. So between a Parallel Append having partial subplans and a
>>> Partial Append having partial subplans , the cost difference would not
>>> be significant. Even if we assume that Parallel Append was chosen
>>> because its cost turned out to be a bit cheaper, the actual
>>> performance gain seems quite large as compared to the expected cost
>>> difference. So it might be even possible that the performance gain
>>> might be due to some other reasons. I will investigate this, and the
>>> other queries.
>>>

>> I ran all the queries that were showing performance benefits in your
>> run. But for me, the ParallelAppend benefits are shown only for plans
>> that use Partition-Wise-Join.
>>
>> For all the queries that use only PA plans but not PWJ plans, I got
>> the exact same plan for HEAD as for PA+PWJ patch, except that for the
>> later, the Append is a ParallelAppend. Whereas, for you, the plans
>> have join-order changed.
>>
>> Regarding actual costs; consequtively, for me the actual-cost are more
>> or less the same for HEAD and PA+PWJ. Whereas, for your runs, you have
>> quite different costs naturally because the plans themselves are
>> different on head versus PA+PWJ.
>>
>> My PA+PWJ plan outputs (and actual costs) match exactly what you get
>> with PA+PWJ patch. But like I said, I get the same join order and same
>> plans (and actual costs) for HEAD as well (except
>> ParallelAppend=>Append).
>>
>> May be, if you have the latest HEAD code with your setup, you can
>> yourself check some of the queries again to see if they are still
>> seeing higher costs as compared to PA ? I suspect that some changes in
>> latest code might be causing this discrepancy; because when I tested
>> some of the explains with a HEAD-branch server running with your
>> database, I got results matching PA figures.
>>
>> Attached is my explain-analyze outputs.
>>

> Strange. Please let me know what was the commit-id you were
> experimenting on. I think we need to investigate this a little
> further.

Sure. I think the commit was b5c75fec. It was sometime in Aug 30 when
I ran the tests. But you may try on latest head.

> Additionally I want to point that I also applied patch [1],
> which I forgot to mention before.

Yes , I also had applied that patch over PA+PWJ.

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEepm%3D3%3DNHHko3oOzpik%2BggLy17AO%2Bpx3rGYrg3x_x05%2BBr9-A%40mail.gmail.com

--
Thanks,
-Amit Khandekar