Re: [HACKERS] expanding inheritance in partition bound order

От Amit Khandekar
Тема Re: [HACKERS] expanding inheritance in partition bound order
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 4 August 2017 at 22:55, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Before calling RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo, the calling code
> should use find_all_inheritors to lock all the relevant relations (or
> the planner could use find_all_inheritors to get a list of relation
> OIDs, store it in the plan in order, and then at execution time we
> visit them in that order and lock them).
>
> 2. RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo assumes the relations are already locked.

I agree. I think overall, we should keep
RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo() only for preparing the dispatch
info in the planner, and generate the locked oids (using
find_all_inheritors() or get_partitioned_oids() or whatever) *without*
using RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo(), since
RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo() is generating the pd structure
which we don't want in every expansion.

> 3. While we're optimizing, in the first loop inside of
> RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo, don't call heap_open().  Instead,
> use get_rel_relkind() to see whether we've got a partitioned table; if
> so, open it.  If not, there's no need.

Yes, this way we need to open only the partitioned tables.

> P.S. While I haven't reviewed 0002 in detail, I think the concept of
> minimizing what needs to be built in RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo
> is a very good idea.

True. I also think, RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo () should be
called while preparing the ModifyTable plan; the PartitionDispatch
data structure returned by RelationGetPartitionDispatchInfo() should
be stored in that plan, and then the execution-time fields in
PartitionDispatch would be populated in ExecInitModifyTable().

--
Thanks,
-Amit Khandekar