Re: Character Encoding Question

От Don Parris
Тема Re: Character Encoding Question
Дата
Список psycopg
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Daniele Varrazzo <daniele.varrazzo@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Don Parris <parrisdc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Daniele Varrazzo

<SNIP>

Your database is probably fine and perfectly encoded. If there's
anything to be understood is why psycopg connects by default with a
SQL_ASCII encoding - which is not good to transfer the ñ char or any
other char with ascii value > 127. The answer could be, from the most
general to the most specific, in the postgresql.conf (global setting),
in the pg_user view (per-user setting), in some environment variable
(per-connection setting). Which one of these settings say
client_encoding=sql_ascii?

I bet it's the first.

-- Daniele

Aha!  As it turns out, I started looking into the character set support in the postgresql documentation, and discovered the psql -l command.  It showed this test database is actually *not* encoded in UTF-8 at all, but rather in ASCII.  I am not sure how I managed to do that, but I did.  I was sure I had used the same DB creation script and just changed the DB name, but clearly, I missed something.  I am not sure if it is necessary to drop and re-create the database to correct this, but that is what I have done.

When I tried using \encoding or SET client_encoding, I got no errors, but I still saw this test DB set as ASCII when running the psql -l command.  Anyway, I'll have to pursue this further later.  Many thanks for the help!

--
D.C. Parris, FMP, Linux+, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate

В списке psycopg по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Character Encoding Question
Сообщение: Re: Character Encoding Question