Re: fallocate / posix_fallocate for new WAL file creation (etc...)

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: fallocate / posix_fallocate for new WAL file creation (etc...)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2013-05-17 15:48:38 -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:

>> > But why does it have to be *really* beneficial?  We're already making
>> > optional posix_fxxx calls and fallocate seems to do exactly what we
>> > would want in this context.  Even if the 100ms drop doesn't show up
>> > all that often, I'd still take it just for the defragmentation
>> > benefits and the patch is fairly tiny.
>
> Well, it needs to be tested et al. And its a fairly critical code
> path. I seem to remember that there were older glibc versions that
> didn't do such a great job at emulating fallocate for example.
>
>> Here is sample output of filefrag on a somewhat busy database from our
>> testing environment that exactly duplicates our production workloads..
>>  It does a lot of batch processing at night and a mix of 80%oltp 20%
>> olap during the day.  This is on ext3.  Interestingly, on ext4 servers
>> I never saw more than 2 extents per file (but those servers are mostly
>> not as busy).
>
> Ok, that's pretty bad. 490 extents in one file? Really? I'd consider
> shutting down the cluster, copying the wal files in a moment where there
> is enough free space. Just don't forget to sync afterwards.
> EXT4 is notably better at allocating space in growing files than ext3
> due to delayed allocation (and other things), so it wouldn't surprise me
> similar differences in fragmentation even if the load were comparable.
>
> Ext3 doesn't have fallocate btw, so it wouldn't benefit from such a
> patch anyway.

yeah -- I see your point.  The object lesson isn't so much 'improve
postgres' as it is to 'use a modern filesystem'.

merlin

Сообщение: Re: counting algorithm for incremental matview maintenance
Сообщение: Re: counting algorithm for incremental matview maintenance