Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> The stored procedure route sounds attractive but its a long way off
> and doesn't address all of the states needs people have voiced. I'm
> not against doing both, I just want to do the quickest and easiest.

sure, I get that, especially in regards to procedures.  a server
ticker though is a pretty small thing and it's fair to ask if maybe
that should be exposed instead of (or perhaps in addition to) a job
scheduling system.

a userland scheduling system has some advantages -- for example it
could be pulled in as an extension.  it would have a very different
feel though since it would be participatory scheduling.  i guess it
really depends on who's writing it and what the objective is (if
anyone is willing to rewrite cron into the postmaster, by all
means...)

merlin