Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck!

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck!
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 12:44 PM Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 3:51 PM Gunther <raj@gusw.net> wrote:
> >
> > For weeks now, I am banging my head at an "out of memory" situation. There is only one query I am running on an 8
GBsystem, whatever I try, I get knocked out on this out of memory. It is extremely impenetrable to understand and fix
thiserror. I guess I could add a swap file, and then I would have to take the penalty of swapping. But how can I
actuallyaddress an out of memory condition if the system doesn't tell me where it is happening?
> > We can't really see anything too worrisome. There is always lots of memory used by cache, which could have been
mobilized.The only possible explanation I can think of is that in that moment of the crash the memory utilization
suddenlyskyrocketed in less than a second, so that the 2 second vmstat interval wouldn't show it??? Nah.

> > I have already much reduced work_mem, which has helped in some other cases before. Now I am going to reduce the
shared_buffersnow, but that seems counter-intuitive because we are sitting on all that cache memory unused!

> > Might this be a bug? It feels like a bug. It feels like those out of memory issues should be handled more
gracefully(garbage collection attempt?) and that somehow there should be more information so the person can do anything
aboutit.

> I kind of agree that nothing according to vmstat suggests you have a
> problem.  One thing you left out is the precise mechanics of the
> failure; is the database getting nuked by the oom killer?  Do you have
> the logs?

oops, I missed quite a bit of context upthread.  sorry for repeat noise.

merlin