Re: jsonb and nested hstore

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> Only change in functionality is the addition of casts between jsonb and
> json.
>
> The other changes are the merge with the new json functions code, and
> rearrangement of the docs changes to make them less ugly. Essentially I
> moved the indexterm tags right out of the table as is done in some other
> parts pf the docs. That makes the entry tags much clearer to read.

I think the opening paragraphs contrasting json/jsonb be needs
refinement.  json is going to be slightly faster than jsonb for input
*and* output.  For example, in one application I store fairly large
json objects containing pre-compiled static polygon data that is
simply flipped up to google maps.  This case will likely be pessimal
for jsonb.  For the next paragaph, I'd like to expand it a bit on
'specialized needs' and boil it down to specific uses cases.
Basically, json will likely be more compact in most cases and slightly
faster for input/output;  jsonb would be preferred in any context
where processing, or searching or extensive server side parsing is
employed.

If you agree, I'd be happy to do that...

merlin