Re: Postgresql in a Virtual Machine

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Postgresql in a Virtual Machine
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM, David Lang <david@lang.hm> wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Lee Nguyen <leemobile@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Having attended a few PGCons, I've always heard the remark from a few
>>> presenters and attendees that Postgres shouldn't be run inside a VM. That
>>> bare metal is the only way to go.
>>>
>>> Here at work we were entertaining the idea of running our Postgres
>>> database
>>> on our VM farm alongside our application vm's.  We are planning to run a
>>> few
>>> Postgres synchronous replication nodes.
>>>
>>> Why shouldn't we run Postgres in a VM?  What are the downsides? Does
>>> anyone
>>> have any metrics or benchmarks with the latest Postgres?
>>

>> Unfortunately (and it really pains me to say this) we live in an
>> increasingly virtualized world and we just have to go ahead and deal
>> with it.  I work at a mid cap company and we have a zero tolerance
>> policy in terms of applications targeting hardware: in short, you
>> can't.  VMs have downsides: you get less performance per buck and have
>> another thing to fail but the administration advantages are compelling
>> especially for large environments.  Furthermore, for any size company
>> it makes less sense to run your own data center with each passing day;
>> the cloud providers are really bringing up their game. This is
>> economic specialization at work.
>

> being pedantic, you can get almost all the management benefits on bare
> metal, and you can rent bare metal from hosting providors, cloud VMs are not
> the only option. 'Cloud' makes sense if you have a very predictably spiky
> load and you can add/remove machines to meet that load, but if you end up
> needing to have the machines running a significant percentage of the time,
> dedicated boxes are cheaper (as well as faster)

Well, that depends on how you define 'most'.  The thing is for me is
that for machines around the office (just like with people) about 10%
of them do 90% of the work.  Being able to slide them around based on
that (sometime changing) need is a tremendous time and cost saver.
For application and infrastructure development dealing with hardware
is just a distraction.   I'd rather click on some interface and say,
'this application needs 25k iops guaranteed' and then make a cost
driven decision on software optimization.  It's hard to let go after
decades of hardware innovation (the SSD revolution was the final shoe
to drop) but for me the time has finally come.  As recently as a year
ago I was arguing databases needed to be run against metal.

merlin

Сообщение: Re: Postgresql in a Virtual Machine
Сообщение: Re: Postgresql in a Virtual Machine