Re: DO ... RETURNING

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: DO ... RETURNING
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Hannu Krosing <hannu@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Could you point to the ISO/ANSI SQL CALL definition ?

I can't: no one can because the SQL standard is not available online.
But you can look at various proxies, for example here:
http://farrago.sourceforge.net/design/UserDefinedTypesAndRoutines.html
or here:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v8/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.udb.doc/admin/r0000897.htm

> As I said before, it is doable now using pl/pgsql and dblink / plproxy
> and is trivial in pl/python.
>> That said, it would be pretty cool if you could inline DO into a CTE
>> or more generally into a query (is that possible?)

> Currently not possible, especially because DO does not return
> anything at this moment.

right, well, I meant hypothetically; I was following along with your
thinking and extending inline code blocks to be able to be used in any
place where a function is allowed.  Specifically I was wondering if
there are technical limitations that keep them limited to CTE usage
(as is the case with data modifying WITH).

merlin