Re: 9.2beta1, parallel queries, ReleasePredicateLocks, CheckForSerializableConflictIn in the oprofile

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: 9.2beta1, parallel queries, ReleasePredicateLocks, CheckForSerializableConflictIn in the oprofile
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Sergey Koposov <koposov@ast.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 May 2012, Robert Haas wrote:
>>

>> Thanks.  How did you generate this perf report?  It's cool, because I
>> haven't figured out how to make perf generate a report that is easily
>> email-able, and it seems you have.
>

> I did pretty much what you have said, e.g.
> attached it to running process by
> perf record -g -p PID
> and then
> perf report -g  > output
>
> And postgresql was compiled with cflags=-g
>

>> The only trouble is that there's no call stack information here for
>> s_lock or PinBuffer, which is what I really want.  It seems to have
>> spit out call stack information only for the kernel functions, and not
>> for user functions.
>

> Yes, I forgot to clean the old binaries when recompiled with cflags=-g.
> So not it is fixed. I attach the updated perf report (i.e. the first 10000
> lines of it to reduce the  file size).

That's basically what we needed.  The sequential scans are driving
index scans are all simultaneously pointing at the same couple of
pages in the index    The are constantly pinning and unpinning -- the
database is schizophrenically going back and forth between the key
pages in the index being and not being allowed to be candidates for
buffer eviction.  Raising shared buffers doesn't help because it's
just marking the buffers to be available for eviction, not the
eviction process itself, that is the problem.  IOS doens't help
because it's index relation buffers, not the heap buffers we are
binding up on (although if the btree was fixed it's entirely possible
the problem could head right back to the heap for non IOS scans.

merlin