Re: Query performance - normal on 9.0.4, slow from 9.0.5 onwards

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Query performance - normal on 9.0.4, slow from 9.0.5 onwards
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Miguel Silva <miguel.silva@tactis.pt> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I've ran into a performance problem a few time ago and I've been trying to
> figure out a solution until now. But since I've failed to come up with
> anything conclusive, it's time to ask some help from people with more
> understanding of how postgresql works.
>
> Here's the big picture.
> I work for a software company that has it's main program installed on over
> 200 clients. This program uses a small local database in postgresql. Always
> installed with the one-click installer and postgresql.conf left on default
> settings. This structure allows us to always install the latest version of
> postgresql both in new clients and older clients (when they are updated).
> And all was well for over 7 years.
> But with postgresql version 9.0.5 (in version 9.0.4 all was fine), we
> noticed the program was taking longer to start. In fact, in some clients
> that had older hardware, it could take around 20 minutes when it usually
> takes only a few seconds. To make a long story short, the problem was traced
> and narrowed down to a single auto generated query. Here it is:
>
> "SELECT
>    NULL::text AS PKTABLE_CAT,
>    pkn.nspname AS PKTABLE_SCHEM,
>    pkc.relname AS PKTABLE_NAME,
>    pka.attname AS PKCOLUMN_NAME,
>    NULL::text AS FKTABLE_CAT,
>    fkn.nspname AS FKTABLE_SCHEM,
>    fkc.relname AS FKTABLE_NAME,
>    fka.attname AS FKCOLUMN_NAME,
>    pos.n AS KEY_SEQ,
>    CASE con.confupdtype  WHEN 'c' THEN 0 WHEN 'n' THEN 2 WHEN 'd' THEN 4
> WHEN 'r' THEN 1 WHEN 'a' THEN 3 ELSE NULL END AS UPDATE_RULE,
>    CASE con.confdeltype  WHEN 'c' THEN 0 WHEN 'n' THEN 2 WHEN 'd' THEN 4
> WHEN 'r' THEN 1 WHEN 'a' THEN 3 ELSE NULL END AS DELETE_RULE,
>    con.conname AS FK_NAME,
>    pkic.relname AS PK_NAME,
>    CASE  WHEN con.condeferrable AND con.condeferred THEN 5 WHEN
> con.condeferrable THEN 6 ELSE 7 END AS DEFERRABILITY
> FROM
>    pg_catalog.pg_namespace pkn,
>    pg_catalog.pg_class pkc,
>    pg_catalog.pg_attribute pka,
>    pg_catalog.pg_namespace fkn,
>    pg_catalog.pg_class fkc,
>    pg_catalog.pg_attribute fka,
>    pg_catalog.pg_constraint con,
>    pg_catalog.generate_series(1, 32) pos(n),
>    pg_catalog.pg_depend dep,
>    pg_catalog.pg_class pkic
> WHERE pkn.oid = pkc.relnamespace
>    AND pkc.oid = pka.attrelid
>    AND pka.attnum = con.confkey[pos.n]
>    AND con.confrelid = pkc.oid
>    AND fkn.oid = fkc.relnamespace
>    AND fkc.oid = fka.attrelid
>    AND fka.attnum = con.conkey[pos.n]
>    AND con.conrelid = fkc.oid
>    AND con.contype = 'f'
>    AND con.oid = dep.objid
>    AND pkic.oid = dep.refobjid
>    AND pkic.relkind = 'i'
>    AND dep.classid = 'pg_constraint'::regclass::oid
>    AND dep.refclassid = 'pg_class'::regclass::oid
>    AND pkn.nspname = 'public'
> [...]

try this (curious):
create table pos as select n from generate_series(1,32) n;

and swap that for the in-query generate series call.  your statistics
in the query are completely off (not 100% sure why), so I'm thinking
to replace that since it lies to the planner about the # rows
returned.  also the join on the array element probably isn't helping.

merlin

Сообщение: Re: Query performance - normal on 9.0.4, slow from 9.0.5 onwards
Сообщение: Re: Query performance - normal on 9.0.4, slow from 9.0.5 onwards