Re: PostgreSQL on tablet grade SSD ?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: PostgreSQL on tablet grade SSD ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 4:30 AM, Karsten Hilbert
<Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Can anyone share any experiences with running PostgreSQL on a
> tablet ?  (Surface Pro 3, ASUS Transformer)
>
> (or point to things I should read, searching the web didn't
>  turn up anything that seemed relevant to *tablets*)

I can't speak to tablets specifically.  But there is danger running
postgres on 'cheap' SSD: they are not designed to accommodate a lot of
write activity.  This means you typically have some or all of the
following issues:

*) non durable writes
*) extremely slow fsync times
*) very rapid media wear

I would probably want to mount the database volume on external storage.

merlin