Re: jsonb and nested hstore

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Дата
Re: jsonb and nested hstore  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: jsonb and nested hstore  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> So, I am going to ask a back-track question and ask why we can't move
> hstore into core.

This is exactly the opposite of what should be happening.  Now, jsonb
might make it into core because of the json precedent but the entire
purpose of the extension system is stop dumping everything in the
public namespace.   Stuff 'in core' becomes locked in stone, forever,
because of backwards compatibility concerns, which are IMNSHO, a
bigger set of issues than even pg_upgrade related issues.  Have we
gone through all the new hstore functions and made sure they don't
break existing applications?  Putting things in core welds your only
escape hatch shut.

*All* non-sql standard types ought to be in extensions in an ideal world.

merlin