Re: Correct place for feature requests

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Correct place for feature requests
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Алексей Бережняк <core@irc.lg.ua> wrote:
> I think that PostgreSQL is great RDBMS, but one important (for me)
> feature that it missing is case-insensitive identifier quotes
> ([table].[column]) like in Microsoft SQL Server.
>
> I know that there are double quotes, but they are case-sensitive.
>
> Or maybe some option that will make double quotes case-insensitive.

This behavior is not going to change because of having to support
decades of code written around the current set of rules.  SQL Server
is very much in the same boat having inherited its somewhat quixotic
casing rules.  SQL server's semantics are not SQL standard anyways so
even if postgres did change it would not be in that direction.  SQL
server is basically fully case insensitive while postgres is case
sensitive (but works around this to some extent via case folding).

It's really somewhat of a shame, but to write portable SQL you want to
name_identifiers_like_this (particularly with postgres due to case
folding) and completely avoid syntax that requires identifier quoting.
  Also stay away from keywords or anything that might become one.

merlin