Re: Which data type to use for UTF8 JSON and perl/PHP: varchar, text or bytea?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Which data type to use for UTF8 JSON and perl/PHP: varchar, text or bytea?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Alexander Farber
<alexander.farber@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Does anybody have an advice on what data type
>>> to use best for such a JSON "string"?
>>>
>>> Should I take varchar, text or bytea.
>>>
>>> And for the latter - how to handle it in Perl
>>> if I currently use DBI and DBD::Pg?
>>>
>>> For PHP I probably should use pg_(un)escape_bytea?
>>>
>>> (And does this all work with "?" placholders?)
>>
>> upgrade your database and use the new json type/features.
>
> do you mean PostgreSQL 9.x?
>
> I don't see anything "json" at
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/datatype.html
> or in the search (besides something in "contrib")?
>
> And does it work well with Perl 5.10 and PHP 5.3?
>
> My hoster offers CentOS 6.x only

it's in core for 9.2.  for 9.1 you have to compile and install it as
an extension:

http://people.planetpostgresql.org/andrew/index.php?/archives/255-JSON-for-PG-9.2-...-and-now-for-9.1!.html
also
http://people.planetpostgresql.org/andrew/index.php?/archives/244-Under-the-wire.html

barring the above, I'd definitely use the 'text' type (or varchar,
which is the same thing).  all should play well with php.

merlin