Re: The tragedy of SQL

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: The tragedy of SQL
Дата
Re: The tragedy of SQL  (Raymond Brinzer <ray.brinzer@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 12:32 AM Guyren Howe <guyren@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I had $5 million to invest in a startup, I would hire as many of the core Postgres devs as I could to make a new
databasewith all the sophistication of Postgres but based on Datalog (or something similar). (Or maybe add Datalog to
Postgres).If that could get traction, it would lead in a decade to a revolution in productivity in our industry.

I've long thought that there is more algebraic type syntax sitting
underneath SQL yearning to get out.  If you wanted to try something
like that today, a language pre-compiler or translator which converted
the code to SQL is likely the only realistic approach if you wanted to
get traction.  History is not very kind to these approaches though and
SQL is evolving and has huge investments behind it...much more than 5
million bucks.

ORMs a function of poor development culture and vendor advocacy, not
the fault of SQL. If developers don't understand or are unwilling to
use joins in language A, they won't in language B either.

merlin