Re: Out of Shared Memory: max_locks_per_transaction

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Out of Shared Memory: max_locks_per_transaction
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Eliot Gable
<egable+pgsql-general@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a PGSQL 9.0.1 database which is on the back-end of an app I was
> stress testing last night. This morning, when I try to run psql, I get:
>
> psql: FATAL:  out of shared memory
> HINT:  You might need to increase max_locks_per_transaction.
>
> I believe something in the app is failing to release resources -- maybe a
> 3-way or 4-way deadlock between writing to tables inside the triggers in
> PGSQL or a deadlock between multiple processes talking to the app and the
> database or something leaking in the app itself which is causing locks to
> not be freed.

most likely possibility you have a transaction being left open and
accumulating locks.   of course, you have to rule out the fact that
you simply have to increase max_locks_per_transaction: if you have a
lot of tables, it might be reasonable to have to extend this on a
stock config.

one thing that can cause this unfortunately is advisory locks eating
up exactly the amount of shared memory you have.  that's another thing
to rule out.

> How do I track down what is going on if I cannot even run psql to get into
> the DB to run troubleshooting queries?

it's a nasty problem.  if shared memory is exhausted and stuck i think
the only practical think to do is to restart the database or nuking
attached clients. maybe try restarting the test, but keep an open
session *with an open transaction* that has previously queried both
pg_locks and pg_stat_activity.  it's just a hunch, but perhaps this
might allow you to query said views and gather some details.

merlin