Re: New server optimization advice

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: New server optimization advice
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 4:26 PM, Steve Crawford
> <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> wrote:
>> New hardware is quite different. 2x10-core E5-2660v3 @2.6GHz, 128GB
>> DDR4-2133 RAM and 800GB Intel DC P3700 NVMe PCIe SSD. In essence, the
>> dataset will fit in RAM and will be backed by exceedingly fast storage.
>>
>> This new machine is very different than any we've had before so any current
>> thinking on optimization would be appreciated. Do I leave indexes as is and
>> evaluate which ones to drop later? Any recommendations on distribution
>> and/or kernels (and kernel tuning)? PostgreSQL tuning starting points?
>> Whatever comes to mind.
>

> That's always a good idea (don't optimize prematurely).
>
> Still, you may want to tweak random_page_cost to bring it closer to
> seq's cost to get plans that are more suited to your exceedingly fast
> storage (not to mention effective_cache_size, which should be a
> given).
>
> You'll most likely be CPU-bound, so optimization will involve tweaking
> data types.
>
> Since you mention lots of writes, I'd imagine you will also want to
> tweak shared_buffers and checkpoint_segments to adapt it to your NVM
> card's buffering, and as with everything new, test or reasearch into
> the card's crash behavior (ie: what happens when you pull the plug).
> I've heard of SSD storage solutions that got hopelessly corrupted with
> pull the plug tests, so be careful with that, but you do certainly
> want to know how this card would behave in a power outage.

The intel DC branded SSD drives so far have an excellent safety record
(for example see here: http://lkcl.net/reports/ssd_analysis.html).
Should still test it carefully though, hopefully that will validate
previous results.

For fast SSD, I'd also set effective_io_concurrency to 256.  This only
affects bitmap heap scans but can double or triple performance of
them.  See: http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAHyXU0yiVvfQAnR9cyH=HWh1WbLRsioe=mzRJTHwtr=2azsTdQ@mail.gmail.com

It'd be nice if you could bench and report some numbers for this
device, particularly:
large scale (at least 2x>ram) pgbench select only test (-S), one for
single client, one for many clients
large scale pgbench standard test, single client, many clients

merlin