Re: Inheritance in PostgreSQL

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Inheritance in PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 7:43 AM Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net> wrote:
Merlin Moncure schrieb am 18.10.2023 um 03:20:
> The only thing you can't really do in SQL easily without writing
> nasty triggers are things like, 'this table must be linked from one
> and only one of these candidate tables'.  I think the language
> probably ought to support this, but I don't think postgres would
> unless the standard did.

Isn't that what assertions are intended to solve in the SQL standard?

Hm, interesting, <googles> ...maybe, maybe not.   SQL '92 -- wow.  guessing why not:  Are they deferrable, always deferred? Doesn't seem like it, simple inheritance cases would seem problematic otherwise, chicken/egg conditions. This might explain why they are not in common use despite being innovated 30 years ago.  Here is an Oracle discussion on the topic:

...with the discussion implying that interaction with the transaction state may be an unsolved problem, at least within oracle.  I suspect there may also be challenges relating to performant implementation.  Sadly, I think the correct approach remains to utilize complex triggers, or nothing.

merlin