Re: [GENERAL] Advice about software engineering inside Postgres?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Advice about software engineering inside Postgres?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Guyren Howe <guyren@gmail.com> wrote:
I’m working on a project to get the likes of web developers to make more effective use of Postgres. This amounts to saying that much of the M in MVC should be implemented as code and relations in Postgres.

This is fairly insightful, I think.  It's a noble task.

The more I think about this, the more I see that a model written in Node, say, that just does queries against the database would be written quite differently as PLV8 stored procedures, triggers and functions inside Postgres. It would have a more purely functional style, you would implement many things as functions that could be used in views and queries, you can write functions that are callable between programming languages, you can write functions that act as result set generators. And I’m sure there are other things I’ve not thought about. Oh: testing will likely be rather different.

Are there any good resources about using Postgres as a programming platform from within, as it were?

As noted above, it's a wonderful largely unexplored area of research.  Postgres is maybe the most productive application development platform out there and can be used for all sorts of wonderful things.  Maybe the most challenging part is dealing with the endless pool of anti-database zealots who seem to know everything there is about software development except SQL.

Unfortunately, resources about going 'deep postgres' are scant.  You're going to have to break some ground.  Go find a problem and solve it, and be very verbose when doing so.  A front end abstraction in the database itself is one interesting project that could be reasonably done. There have been a few half hearted attempts at it, but it's something that is worth shooting for.

merlin