Re: Would you help to review our modifications

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Would you help to review our modifications
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM, David G Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
> rohtodeveloper wrote
>> So how to deal with this kind of situation if I want a implicit
>> conversion?
>
> As of the out-of-support 8.3 release many of the implicit casts previously
> defined have been changed to explicit casts.  It is a catalog change -
> obviously, since you can still define implicit casts - so if you absolutely
> must have the pre-existing cast be implicit you can modify the catalog
> directly.
>
> You may wish to describe why you think this is the solution you need - with
> implicit casting there are generally more downsides that upsides.

I feel your pain. My company just last year completed a nine month
effort to validate a sprawling code base for post 8.3 casts.  We were
orphaned on 8.1 and were very nearly forced to switch to another
database.

merlin