Re: DO ... RETURNING

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: DO ... RETURNING
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Merlin Moncure (mmoncure@gmail.com) wrote:
>> I agree with all your comments pretty much down the line.  Need top
>> level CALL that supports parameterization and multiple sets that
>> utilizes background worker (we have example spi worker that gives some
>> hints about how pl/pgsql could be made to work).  Because it's top
>> level (can't even be inlined to CTE), we can access behaviors that are
>> not possible in current pl/pgsql, for example setting transaction
>> isolation in advance of snapshot and changing database connection
>> mid-procedure.
>
> And this still has next-to-nothing to do with the specific proposal that
> was put forward.

It's a complete feature but completely relevant to the discussion --
the behaviors have a lot of overlap and CALL is in the standard
whereas the ad hoc feature DO isn't.  This comes up in other feature
requests too, like psql bash-like scripting features.

That said, it would be pretty cool if you could inline DO into a CTE
or more generally into a query (is that possible?) -- then you'd have
something distinct.

merlin