Re: The tragedy of SQL

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: The tragedy of SQL
Дата
Re: The tragedy of SQL  (Guyren Howe <guyren@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 7:31 PM FWS Neil <neil@fairwindsoft.com> wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2021, at 2:44 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think you ought to recognize that many people on this list make
> > money directly from managing that complexity :-).
>
> I did not intend to disparage anyone.  People, including myself, make money when they provide value and there is
certainlyvalue here.

> But, I am not sure I understand your inference.  Are you saying (and I am not implying you are) that PostgreSQL does
notprogress in line with the original SQL goals of simplifying data access because people are making money off of the
currentcomplexity?

Not at all.  I'm saying that this mailing list is stuffed with people
that work on and with the database, and SQL is in many cases
(including mine) a passion.   Postgres is a technical marvel so that
we make money by utilizing it effectively, and rendering, er,
constructive feedback to its stewards so that it may improve and we
may all become more efficient.

Points made upthread suggesting SQL is bad due to being based on sets
were ironic IMO.  SQL is successful and enduring precisely because you
can direct operations by describing data relationships rather than
implement specific operations by hand.  Fluency in that technique
leads to solution achievement that other technologies cannot approach.
It rewards artistry and creativity, which I guess rubs some people the
wrong way since it does not align to factory development strategies.

No offense taken; I enjoy the debate; this thread is an indulgence,
being a bit of time off from capricious C suite executives, agile
methodology zealots, etc. So fire away.

merlin

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: autocommit for multi call store procedure
От: Michael Nolan
Сообщение: Re: The tragedy of SQL