Re: Possible bug with SKIP LOCKED behaviour

От Glen Mailer
Тема Re: Possible bug with SKIP LOCKED behaviour
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Hello

With SKIP LOCKED, any selected rows that cannot be immediately locked are skipped. Skipping locked rows provides an inconsistent view of the data, so this is not suitable for general purpose work, but can be used to avoid lock contention with multiple consumers accessing a queue-like table.

Yes, I am specifically aiming to avoid lock contention with multiple consumers accessing a queue-like table, and I'm seeing the same row being retrieved my multiple workers

And a golang script is not convenient for hackers to reproduce. Could you provide some steps to produce the bug stably if it really was ?

Reproducing requires running a transaction with queries dependent on the results of earlier queries, and then running a number of these transactions concurrently, and then repeating the test until the unexpected result happens. Currently I'm doing 20 concurrent transactions, and I find that if I repeat the test 100 times I tend to get between zero and 3 failures.

What would be a more convenient way for me to provide this for reproduction?

Thanks
Glen