spanish locale question

От jbiskofski
Тема spanish locale question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello everyone,

I have a lc_collate problem. Im in Mexico and I need the following three lastnames to be sorted this way :

álvarez ( accent on first a )
chavez
cota

Using the default locale on my mac ( en_US ) I end up with :

chavez
cota
álvarez

So I switched to es_ES.ISO8859-15 and that gives me :

álvarez
cota
chavez

... There was a time when the "Real Academia Española" considered "CH", "LL" and "SH" as letters. They changed that in 1994 :

In 1994, the RAE ruled that the Spanish consonants "CH" (ché) and "LL" (elle) would hence be alphabetized under "C" and under "L", respectively, and not as separate, discrete letters, as in the past. The RAE eliminated monosyllabic accented vowels where the accent did not serve in changing the word's meaning, examples include: "dio" ("gave"), "vio" ("saw"), both had an acutely-accented vowel "ó"; yet the monosyllabic word "sé" ("I know", the first person, singular, present of "saber", "to know"; and the singular imperative of "ser", "to be") retains its acutely-accented vowel in order to differentiate it from the reflexive pronoun "se".

I think thats where the problem comes from.

Anyway, any hints/clues/suicide-method-suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

- Jose Biskofski