recovery_target_action = shutdown not working on PG11 during PITR restore

От Maher Beg
Тема recovery_target_action = shutdown not working on PG11 during PITR restore
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello!

I'm attempting to restore a database (via pgbackrest) on PG11.20 and have the database shutdown when all of the WAL archives have finished applying. In my recovery.conf file I have recovery_target_action = 'shutdown' with an appropriate recovery target time and restore command setup. hot_standby is set to on.

When Postgres starts up it shows the correct recovery parameters in the debug logs but after restoring and applying all the WAL archives ends up promoting itself and has exited recovery mode (confirmed via psql select pg_is_in_recovery()). I also see recovery.conf is renamed to recovery.done

I've tried changing the target action to pause and that still results in promotion, as well as setting it to something invalid which causes Postgres to correctly crash. It appears to be parsing correctly, but maybe I'm missing an additional configuration or startup parameter to have PG11 restore and shutdown correctly. I've also tried hot_standby on and off, as well as messing with standby_mode.

This same process with slight tweaks works just fine for PG12-PG15. Is there anything else I should be checking or testing?

-Maher