Re: libpq pipelineing

От Samuel Williams
Тема Re: libpq pipelineing
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

Here are some initial numbers.

DB::Client
Warming up --------------------------------------
         db-postgres   281.000  i/100ms
          db-mariadb   399.000  i/100ms
              mysql2   533.000  i/100ms
                  pg   591.000  i/100ms
Calculating -------------------------------------
         db-postgres      2.725k (± 1.8%) i/s -     13.769k in   5.053750s
          db-mariadb      3.990k (± 2.4%) i/s -     19.950k in   5.002453s
              mysql2      5.153k (± 4.7%) i/s -     26.117k in   5.079570s
                  pg      5.772k (± 4.4%) i/s -     28.959k in   5.027423s

Comparison:
                  pg:     5771.7 i/s
              mysql2:     5152.8 i/s - 1.12x  (± 0.00) slower
          db-mariadb:     3990.3 i/s - 1.45x  (± 0.00) slower
         db-postgres:     2725.5 i/s - 2.12x  (± 0.00) slower

The db-* gems are event driven. However, that is of less interest right now.

This benchmark creates a table, inserts 1000 (or some fixed number) of
rows, and then selects them all back out.

What I noticed is that `PQgetvalue` and `PQgetisnull` is not
particularly efficient, at least via FFI. Requires rows * columns * 2
FFI calls.

libmariadb provides `mysql_fetch_row` which returns a `char **` per
row. Requires only rows FFI calls.

Does a similar method exist for libpq? e.g. `PGgetrow(index) ->
char**` (array of strings, one for each column, may be nil to indicate
null).

Kind regards,
Samuel