Re: [v10] CREATE TEMP FUNCTION/CREATE FUNCTION PG_TEMP.X

От Vincenzo Romano
Тема Re: [v10] CREATE TEMP FUNCTION/CREATE FUNCTION PG_TEMP.X
Дата
Список pgsql-general

>> > pg_temp is explicitly ignored when searching for functions/operators.
>> > Otherwise, installing a trojan horse is just too easy.
>> >
>> >                         regards, tom lane
>>
>> I'm not sure whether this decision actually makes PG more scure.
>> But, anyway, thanks for the insight: I've just found the
>> documentations for this.
>>
>> --
>> Vincenzo Romano - NotOrAnd.IT
>> Information Technologies
>> --
>> NON QVIETIS MARIBVS NAVTA PERITVS
>>

> Aside from the simple explanations you have received, I question your justification for even having a temporary
function.
> Functions are only entries in the system catalogs and as such, take up just a tiny amount of physical space. In
addition,
> if you ever need it again, you will have to expend time recreating it. Why not just once and keep it?

Hi.
Thanks for your comment.

The reason for having temporary object, in my current design, is to
have something shadowing something else on a per session basis, thanks
to the search_path variable.
It's not simply a matter or storage room or access speed. Not at all to me.
If you use, for example:

SET search_path to pg_temp,"$user",public;

you can put general stuff in public, per-user data in "$user" and per
session data in pg_temp.
Then the "name resolution" will follow the above priority during lookup.
And, as I put more and more logics in the DB, having temporary
functions gives me a simple, clean and yet powerful design.

As soon as my applications connect, they run SELECT * FROM
f_application_init( 'MYAPPNAME' ).
That function (which is not temporary) will setup the DB-level, the
user-level and the session-level stuff.
Currently it eats about 500 msec to run and it's run only once per session.
So, the answer to your question is: "why not if it can be useful
"
--
Vincenzo Romano - NotOrAnd.IT
Information Technologies
--
NON QVIETIS MARIBVS NAVTA PERITVS

Сообщение: Re: Intersection or zero-column queries
Сообщение: Re: Intersection or zero-column queries