postgres question: Views with duplicate field names

От Ryan Murphy
Тема postgres question: Views with duplicate field names
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello, I have a question about views in Postgres.

Given a table like so:

create table todo (
  id serial,
  task text,
  done_time timestamp default null
);

it is legal (though perhaps not advised, by some) to query it like so:

select task, * from todo;

This gives a result with 2 redundant "task" fields (with duplicate names):

     task     | id |     task     | done_time
 wash the dog |  1 | wash the dog |

However, if I try to make a view of this I hit a problem: views can't have duplicate field names:

create view task2 as   select task, * from todo;

ERROR:  column "task" specified more than once

I understand this may seem like a silly thing to want to do, but my question is if there is an easy way to automatically de-dup the columns of the query so I can create a view from it.  Or is there any fundamental reason why views can't be allowed to have duplicate columns, just like the result set above?

Thanks!

Ryan