Re: Moving to git

От Maciek Sakrejda
Тема Re: Moving to git
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Verified that this works, and that the (filtered) diffs are clean for
all tags. I've incorporated the script changes and pushed them out to
the github repository I sent out earlier. I don't quite get the
filtering expression here--can someone clarify?

    diff -r --exclude=CVS --exclude=.git . ../cvs-co/${tag} \
            | grep "\$Header:" -v \
            | egrep -v "^\-\-\-$"  \
            | egrep -v "^[0-9]+c[0-9]+" \
            | grep -v "^diff \-r '\-\-exclude"

Is this just filtering out the '$Header' in the Makefile from back in
the day? Is there a better way to deal with this? It seems to get
expanded to include my username and path to export.

I'm fairly certain that with a judicious application of git
filter-branch, I can strip out all those "manufactured commits" that
Tom mentioned. The issues Kris mentioned [1] seem to be more complex,
but I don't quite understand what they are. Can someone point out a
specific bit of history that's mangled in Marko's github repo? I
*think* it might be something like the problems discussed starting
here [2] for the server migration, but it'd be helpful to see this
going wrong in the jdbc history.

Also, from reading the mailing list archives, it looks like tag-by-tag
verification may *not* be a good way to verify sanity of full history.
Any suggestions as to what a more extensive automated verification
method might entail? We'd want to do manual spot-checks as well, of
course, but is there something more we can do for an automated check?

[1]: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2008-12/msg00124.php
[2]: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-08/msg01274.php
---
Maciek Sakrejda | System Architect | Truviso

1065 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Suite 215
Foster City, CA 94404
(650) 242-3500 Main
www.truviso.com