Re: Moving to git

От Maciek Sakrejda
Тема Re: Moving to git
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
> So it would appear that there are some motivated people here with more
> experience than I. Is it feasible to take the source tree as it is an
> migrate it to github, or a personal git repo at git.postgresql.org
> then clone it to the pgjdbc git repo once the migration has been
> verified ?

Yes, absolutely. The repo doesn't even have to be public initially
(i.e., you just do the export by creating a new repo on your
workstation and only share it when you're happy with it). The nice
part about this is that we can attempt migration several times (if
necessary) without having to babysit it, and abandoning a failed
migration doesn't impact the current CVS repo. The only issue is that
a full export makes the CVS server sweat a little bit.

In fact, the process probably should be such that someone comes up
with a converted repo and semi-automated verification steps. This can
be inspected and verified by anyone interested, and once there's
consensus, we can start talking about blessing that particular export
as the new official one, and pushing that to the official repo. The
CVS repo is fairly low-volume, so manually re-applying any intervening
patches should not be a problem.

---
Maciek Sakrejda | System Architect | Truviso

1065 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Suite 215
Foster City, CA 94404
(650) 242-3500 Main
www.truviso.com