Re: Sudden insert performance degradation

От Henrique Montenegro
Тема Re: Sudden insert performance degradation
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 11:20 AM Sebastian Dressler <sebastian@swarm64.com> wrote:
Hi Henrique,

On 13. Jul 2020, at 16:23, Henrique Montenegro <typoon@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

* Insert the data from the `users` table into the `users_no_dups` table

```
insert into users_no_dups (
    created_ts,
    user_id,
    name,
    url
) (
    select
        created_ts,
        user_id,
        name,
        url
    from
        users
) on conflict do nothing
```

How do you check contraints here? Is this enforced with UK/PK?

The Unique Key is supposed to to the constraint enforcing here. The `users` table will have data that is duplicate and the maximum number of records on it is 1 million. Then I just try to insert it into the `users_no_dups` table with the `on conflict do nothing` to ignore the duplicates and discard them.

Running the above loop worked fine for about 12 hours. Each file was taking
about 30 seconds to be processed. About 4 seconds to create the `users` table
and have the CSV data loaded into it and anything between 20 and 30 seconds to
insert the data from `users` into `users_no_dups`.

Do you see anything suspicious in the logs, i.e. something in the realms of running out of transaction IDs?

I set the log to debug1. I haven't seen anything that called my attention, but I am not really sure what to look for, so perhaps I missed it. Any suggestions on what to look for or any specific log configuration to do?

[...]

Recreating the table now isn't really providing any improvements. I tried
recreating it with a `fillfactor` of `10`, but it was taking too long and too
much space (the table had 300GB with the fillfactor set to 30; with it set to
10 it went up to almost 1TB).

To me it sounds like the UK/PK is getting too much to write. A possible solution could be to start partitioning the table.

I thought about partitioning it, but I can't figure out on what. The `user_id` column is a number that is somewhat random so I don't know what kinds of range I would use for it. I will try to look at the values again and see if there is something that I could perhaps use as a range. Any other suggestions?

[...]
```
ssl = off
shared_buffers = 8GB
work_mem = 12GB
maintenance_work_mem = 12GB
max_stack_depth = 4MB
synchronous_commit = off
wal_writer_flush_after = 128MB
max_wal_size = 32GB
min_wal_size = 80MB
effective_cache_size = 96GB
```

Another suggestion would be to increase the min_wal_size here, but since you use UNLOGGED tables it does not matter much.

Information about the machine:

```
Processor: 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630L v2 @ 2.40GHz (6 cores each, 12 threads)
RAM: 256GB

Disk1: 2TB SSD SATA-3 Samsung Evo 860
Disk2: 6TB HDD SATA-3 Seagate Exos Enterprise 7200RPM
Disk3: 8TB HDD SATA-3 Seagate Exos Enterprise 7200RPM

Disk1 and Disk2 are configured as a single logical volume.

Just curious: does that mean you mix up SSD + HDD?

Yeah, I did that. Probably not very smart of me. I plan on undoing it soon. I assumed that is not what is causing my issue since the tablespace where the table is stored is on `Disk3` which is not part of the Logical Volume.

Cheers,
Sebastian

--

Sebastian Dressler, Solution Architect
+49 30 994 0496 72 | sebastian@swarm64.com

Swarm64 AS
Parkveien 41 B | 0258 Oslo | Norway
Registered at Brønnøysundregistrene in Norway under Org.-Number 911 662 787
CEO/Geschäftsführer (Daglig Leder): Thomas Richter; Chairman/Vorsitzender (Styrets Leder): Dr. Sverre Munck

Swarm64 AS Zweigstelle Hive
Ullsteinstr. 120 | 12109 Berlin | Germany
Registered at Amtsgericht Charlottenburg - HRB 154382 B

Thanks!

Henrique

Сообщение: Re: Sudden insert performance degradation
Сообщение: Re: Sudden insert performance degradation