Re: CPU hogged by concurrent SELECT..FOR UPDATE SKIP LOCKED

От Henrique Montenegro
Тема Re: CPU hogged by concurrent SELECT..FOR UPDATE SKIP LOCKED
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Did you try using NOWAIT instead of SKIP LOCKED to see if the behavior still shows up?

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020, 8:22 PM Jim Jarvie <jim@talentstack.to> wrote:

Thank you for the quick response.

No adjustments of fill factors.  Hadn't though of that - I'll investigate and try some options to see if I can measure an effect.

There is some ordering on the select [ ORDER BY q_id] so each block of 250 is sequential-ish queue items; I just need them more or less in the order they were queued so as near FIFO as possible without being totally strict on absolute sequential order.

Table has around 192K rows, as a row is processed it is deleted as part of the transaction with a commit at the end after all 250 are processed [partitioned table, state changes and it migrates to a different partition] and as the queue drops to 64K it is added to with 128K rows at a time.

I've tuned the LIMIT value both up and down.  As I move the limit up, the problem becomes substantially worse; 300 swamps it and the selects take > 1 hour to complete; at 600 they just all lock everything up and it stops processing.  I did try 1,000 but it basically resulted in nothing being processed.

Less processes does not give the throughput required because the queue sends data elsewhere which has a long round trip time but does permit over 1K concurrent connections as their work-round for throughput.  I'm stuck having to scale up my concurrent processes in order to compensate for the long processing time of an individual queue item.