Re: Declarative Range Partitioning Postgres 11

От Michael Lewis
Тема Re: Declarative Range Partitioning Postgres 11
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 9:22 AM Shatamjeev Dewan <sdewan@nbsps.com> wrote:

Hi Michael,

I want to create a partition by year and subpartition by month in postgres 11 timestamp column. Please advise syntax.

The documentation is rather clear with examples like-

CREATE TABLE measurement_y2006m02 PARTITION OF measurement
    FOR VALUES FROM ('2006-02-01') TO ('2006-03-01');
CREATE TABLE measurement_y2006m03 PARTITION OF measurement
    FOR VALUES FROM ('2006-03-01') TO ('2006-04-01');

Note- Don't partition on function results like date_part because performance will likely suffer greatly. Also note that the top end is always exclusive so the above give a continuous range for those two months.

I would hesitate to partition by more than year alone before upgrading to PG v12. The speed improvements for more than 10-100 partitions (max recommended for PG11) is huge in 12.