Re: the big picture for index-only scans

От Gokulakannan Somasundaram
Тема Re: the big picture for index-only scans
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Note that we already have the visibility map, and the accesses needed to update it are already there. Granted, we'll have to change the logic slightly to make it crash safe, but I don't expect that to add any meaningful overhead - the changes are going to be where the bits are set, ie. vacuum, not when the bits are cleared. Granted, we might also want to set the bits more aggressively once they're used by index-only-scans. But done correctly, just taking advantage of the VM that's already there shouldn't add overhead to other operations.

I agree that we need to do tests to demonstrate that there's a gain from the patch, once we have a patch to test. I would be very surprised if there isn't, but that just means the testing is going to be easy.

--
 Heikki Linnakangas

 EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

 I could see some arguments supporting this feature, citing covering indexes as example. But i just want to highlight they are not same. Visibility map approach is totally not related to the covering indexes approach, except the intention of avoiding the heap scan. Because of the small size, we will be having more contentions(People who have worked with Oracle can take the example of a bitmap index on a OLTP database). I was making the suggestion previously to make these crash safe visibility maps optional for a table, so that the overhead, which comes with it, can be avoided for those tables, which have queries that don't support index only scans. The fact that the proposal is for crash safe visibility map, to become a default package of any Postgresql table will definitely have wide ranging implications on OLTP performance.

Gokul.