Re: Disk buffering of resultsets

От Lussier, Denis
Тема Re: Disk buffering of resultsets
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Wow...  really glad Tom chimed in on this.    I've been promoting/using PG as an enterprise-class database for over a decade and I was struggling with the "fact" that the server doesn't iterate thru a cursor without bringing it all into memory.

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 8:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> writes:
> this still won't address the issue that the postgresql server itself
> ALSO marshals the entire result set into ITS memory before sending it to
> the client.

If it actually did that, then there would be an issue ... but it never
has, and very likely never will.  The server sends rows on-the-fly as
they're computed.  That is indeed the very reason that client libraries
tend to want to accumulate full resultsets: they're hiding that behavior
from applications, so as to make it look like you get either an error or
a full resultset, not some rows and then an error.