Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 10:57 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> pglz_compress() and pglz_decompress() still use PGLZ_Header, so the
>>> frontend
>>> which uses those functions needs to handle PGLZ_Header. But it basically
>>> should
>>> be handled via the varlena macros. That is, the frontend still seems to
>>> need to
>>> understand the varlena datatype. I think we should avoid that. Thought?
>> Hm, yes it may be wiser to remove it and make the data passed to pglz
>> for varlena 8 bytes shorter..
>
> OK, here is the result of this work, made of 3 patches.

Thanks for updating the patches!

> The first two patches move pglz stuff to src/common and make it a frontend
> utility entirely independent on varlena and its related metadata.
> - Patch 1 is a simple move of pglz to src/common, with PGLZ_Header still
> present. There is nothing amazing here, and that's the broken version that
> has been reverted in 966115c.

The patch 1 cannot be applied to the master successfully because of
recent change.

> - The real stuff comes with patch 2, that implements the removal of
> PGLZ_Header, changing the APIs of compression and decompression to pglz to
> not have anymore toast metadata, this metadata being now localized in
> tuptoaster.c. Note that this patch protects the on-disk format (tested with
> pg_upgrade from 9.4 to a patched HEAD server). Here is how the APIs of
> compression and decompression look like with this patch, simply performing
> operations from a source to a destination:
> extern int32 pglz_compress(const char *source, int32 slen, char *dest,
>                           const PGLZ_Strategy *strategy);
> extern int32 pglz_decompress(const char *source, char *dest,
>                           int32 compressed_size, int32 raw_size);
> The return value of those functions is the number of bytes written in the
> destination buffer, and 0 if operation failed.

So it's guaranteed that 0 is never returned in success case? I'm not sure
if that case can really happen, though.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao