Re: postgresql.auto.conf read from wrong directory

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: postgresql.auto.conf read from wrong directory
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 7:01 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> There is no harm in forbidding data_directory, but similarly we can
>>> imagine that people can set some very large values for some config
>>> variables due to which later it can have symptoms similar to this
>>> issue.
>>
>> Yes, that can prevent the server from restarting at all. In this case,
>> to restart the server, we need to edit postgresql.auto.conf manually
>> and remove the problematic settings though the header of
>> postgresql.auto.conf warns "Do not edit this file manually!".
>
> So lets not try to forbid data_directory in postgresql.auto.conf and just
> fix the case reported in this mail for postgresql.conf for which the
> patch is attached upthread.

ISTM that data_directory is in different situation from the other. That is,
setting data_directory in postgresql.auto.conf is problematic whether its
setting value is valid or invalid. Imagine the case where data_directory
is set to '/data1' and '/data2' in config_directory/postgresql.conf and
/data1/postgresql.auto.conf, respectively. In this case, firstly the server
doesn't read /data2/postgresql.auto.conf when it starts up, even if your
patch has been applied. Secondly, the server doesn't read
/data1/postgresql.auto.conf when it receives SIGHUP, and this causes
the following error.

LOG:  parameter "data_directory" cannot be changed without restarting the server

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao

Сообщение: Re: New pg_lsn type doesn't have hash/btree opclasses
Сообщение: Re: New pg_lsn type doesn't have hash/btree opclasses