Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 10:06 PM, Beena Emerson <memissemerson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 02:56 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> pro-JSON:
>>
>> * standard syntax which is recognizable to sysadmins and devops.
>> * can use JSON/JSONB functions with ALTER SYSTEM SET to easily make
>> additions/deletions from the synch rep config.
>> * can add group labels (see below)
>
> Adding group labels do have a lot of values but as Amit has pointed out,
> with little modification, they can be included in GUC as well.

Or you can extend the custom GUC mechanism so that we can
specify the groups by using them, for example,
   quorum_commit.mygroup1 = 'london, nyc'   quorum_commit.mygruop2 = 'tokyo, pune'   synchronous_standby_names =
'1(mygroup1),1(mygroup2)'

> On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
>
>> Something like pg_syncinfo/ coupled with a LW lock, we already do
>> something similar for replication slots with pg_replslot/.
>
> I was trying to figure out how the JSON metadata can be used.
> It would have to be set using a given set of functions.

So we can use only such a set of functions to configure synch rep?
I don't like that idea. Because it prevents us from configuring that
while the server is not running.

> Is JSON being preferred because it would be ALTER SYSTEM friendly and in a
> format already known to users?

At least currently ALTER SYSTEM cannot accept the JSON data
(e.g., the return value of JSON function like json_build_object())
as the setting value. So I'm not sure how friendly ALTER SYSTEM
and JSON format really. If you want to argue that, probably you
need to improve ALTER SYSTEM so that JSON can be specified.

> In a real-life scenario, at most how many groups and nesting would be
> expected?

I don't think that many groups and nestings are common.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao