Re: [9.4] Make full_page_writes only settable on server start?

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: [9.4] Make full_page_writes only settable on server start?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 1:55 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2013-09-04 09:23:20 -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
>> >
>> > Isn't this whole discussion academic in view of Andres' point?
>>
>> Maybe "complex code" was an overstatement. We'd be able to eliminate the
>> XLOG_FPW_CHANGE, UpdateFullPageWrites(), and one of the members of
>> XLogCtlInsert; and make xlog.c slightly shorter in the process.
>
> That path is also executed during a normal restart and during
> promotion. Check the invocation of UpdateFullPageWrites() in
> StartupXLOG(). Note that a standby needs to be able to follow a
> primaries full_page_writes setting during a promotion.

Yes, this is required for the backup from the standby.

If we make the GUC contect to PGC_POSTMASTER, I think that
we can remove XLOG_FPW_CHANGE and treat full_page_writes
the same way as wal_level, max_connections, i.e., the parameter
which CheckRequiredParameterValues() handles.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao