Re: fixing pg_ctl with relative paths

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: fixing pg_ctl with relative paths
Дата
Re: fixing pg_ctl with relative paths  (Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> the two small issues noted fixed.
>>
>> The following description in the document of pg_ctl needs to be modified?
>>
>>     restart might fail if relative paths specified were specified on
>> the command-line during server start.
>
> Right, that caveat could go away.
>
>> +#define DATADIR_SPEC   "\"-D\" \""
>> +
>> +       datadir = strstr(post_opts, DATADIR_SPEC);
>>
>> Though this is a corner case, the patch doesn't seem to handle properly the case
>> where "-D" appears as other option value, e.g., -k option value, in
>> postmaster.opts
>> file.
>
> Could I see a command-line example of what you mean?

postmaster -k "-D", for example. Of course, it's really a corner case :)

Another corner case is, for example, pg_ctl -D test1 -o "-D test2", ....
that is, multiple -D specifications appear in the command-line.

Can we overlook these cases?

>> Just idea to work around that problem is to just append the specified -D option
>> and value to post_opts. IOW, -D option and value appear twice in post_opts.
>> In this case, posteriorly-located ones are used in the end. Thought?
>
> Hrm, I think we'd have to be careful that postmaster.opts doesn't
> accumulate an additional -D specification with every restart.

Yes. Oh, I was thinking that postmaster writes only -D specification which
postmaster actually uses, in the opts file. So that accumulation would not
happen, I thought. But that's not true. Postmaster writes all the specified
arguments in the opts file.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao