Re: Strange issues with 9.2 pg_basebackup & replication

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: Strange issues with 9.2 pg_basebackup & replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 16 May 2012 11:36, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I had set the archive_command on the primary, then produced a base
>>> backup which would have copied the archive settings, but I also added
>>> a corresponding recovery_command setting, so everything was pointing
>>> at the same archive.
>>
>> Hmm.. when doing the same, the replica-replica successfully reconnected
>> to the master-replica after I shutdown the master-master and promoted the
>> master-replica. archive_command is the same in three servers,
>> restore_command is the same in two standby servers (i.e., master-replica
>> and replica-replica), and recovery_target_timeline is set to 'latest' in two
>> standby servers.
>
> I didn't shut down the master-master, but I didn't expect to need to.
>
> I also had recovery_target_timeline set to latest.  I also tried
> explicitly setting it to the new timeline, and got an error saying
> there was no such timeline.

What did the replica-replica do after you got such an error? Repeated
such an error? Emit PANIC error and exited? Got stuck? Successfully
reconnected to the master-replica? ....

In theory, the gap of timeline should be resolved as follows:

1. promote master-replica, which terminates cascade replication.
2. while replica-replica is repeating to reconnect to master-replica,   if it finds new timeline history file in the
archive,it adjusts
its timeline   to new one.
3. as the result of promotion, master-replica increments its timeline,   creates the timeline history file and archives
it.
4. finally replica-replica finds new timeline history file in the archive,   adjusts its timeline to new one, and
successfullyreconnects to the   master-replica.

Note that you might see the timeline mismatch error some times
before replication is successfully restarted because of the timing
problem.

>>> But in any case, shouldn't the replication connection be
>>> terminated when pg_basebackup is terminated?
>>
>> +1 To do this, we would need to define SIGINT signal handler and make it
>> send QueryCancel packet when Ctrl-C is typed.
>
> Also could we provide some feedback when using the -c spread option,
> when there isn't progress within a short period of time?  Something
> like "Waiting for checkpoint.  This can take up to
> %checkpoint_timeout%", or something similar, rather than seeing
> nothing happening and wondering if something has gone wrong.

+1, at least for the case where -P option is specified in pg_basebackup.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao