termination of backend waiting for sync rep generates a junk log message

От Fujii Masao
Тема termination of backend waiting for sync rep generates a junk log message
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

In 9.1, the following procedure writes a junk message into the server log;

$ initdb -D data
$ cat << EOF >> data/postgresql.conf
wal_level = hot_standby
max_wal_senders = 1
synchronous_standby_names = '*'
EOF
$ pg_ctl -D data start
$ psql -c "create table t (i int)" &
$ pg_ctl -D data -m fast stop

WARNING:  canceling the wait for synchronous replication and
terminating connection due to administrator command
DETAIL:  The transaction has already committed locally, but might not
have been replicated to the standby.
backend> FATAL:  terminating connection due to administrator command

The above is the server log messages that I got when I did the procedure.
"backend> " is a junk. If a backend is terminated while it's waiting for
synchronous replication, whereToSendOutput is set to DestNone. Then,
whereToSendOutput=DestNone makes ReadCommand() call
InteractiveBackend() which outputs "backend> ".

This junk message might mess up the server log monitoring tools. I think
it should be removed.

The simple fix is to change InteractiveBackend() so that it calls
CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() before it outputs "backend> ". Thought?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center